Important Safety Regulations

Important safety regulations and legislative requirements.

Gas appliances and equipment

Landlords have duties under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 to arrange safety inspections CP12 certificates and maintenance by a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipework, appliances and flues installed at a property. As managing agents we ensure full compliance with the appropriate regulations, at the landlords expense.

Energy Performance Certificates

New Government Legislation enforced from the 1st October 2008 requires all rental properties with a new tenancy in England and Wales to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). An EPC can only be carried out by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor (DEA). They will visit your property to assess the age, construction, and location of the property as well as its current fittings such as heating systems, insulation, double glazing etc. They will then asses the overall efficiency of your property and issue an Energy Performance Certificate.

Furniture and Furnishings

From 1st January 1997 all upholstered furniture in rented accommodation must comply with the fire resistance requirements of the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended).All upholstered or part-upholstered furniture is covered by the regulations including mattresses, pillows, and cushions. Bed clothes, carpets and curtains are not included, neither is genuine antique furniture made before 1950. Each piece of furniture that complies with these regulations (except beds and mattresses) should have a rectangular label permanently attached to it with the heading “CARELESSNESS CAUSES FIRE”.If the furniture does not have this label or was made before 1988 it will probably not comply with the regulations.

Electrical Appliances and equipment

The electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994 have been mandatory since 1st January 1997. They state that all electrical appliances with let accommodation must be safe. This applies to both new and second-hand appliances and covers all electrical items supplied for the intended use of the Tenant. The regulations also cover fixed appliances such as cookers, showers and immersion heaters, which must also be safe. The only method of insuring that these appliances are safe is to have them tested by a trained competent person using the appropriate calibrated portable appliance testing equipment, know as a (PAT) test.

Burnell Lettings, The Yard, Light Industrial Estate, Esh Winning, County Durham, DH7 9PT

© 2012 Burnell Lettings | Web Design in Durham and the North East